Friday, March 14, 2014

The issue with my roommate



I always enjoyed living with my family; we shared so much and experienced a lot of memories together. Ever since I was a little girl, from the first steps, to doing homework with my mom, to hugging daddy when he came from work, to the chores I hated… I loved it all about living with them, but like many adults, time eventually came to go to college and since my school was out of my hometown, I had to move out and find a place and along with it: a roommate.

I had done extensive research about roommate etiquette, the dos and the don’ts about sharing quarters with someone else. I thought I knew it all (theoretically anyway) but a lot of people say rightfully so that there is a very long stretch of distance from theory to practice. I experienced this first hand with my first roommate. She seemed nice, outgoing, and I even enjoyed her company at first. Everything went smoothly for a while but all of a sudden I noticed some things missing in one of my drawers (the one where I had placed my valuables such as gadgets, jewelry, cash etc.) it was probably wishful thinking on my part to assume that nothing would ever happen if I left cash lying around the apartment. I guess I was naive.


I confronted my roommate about this issue and sure enough, she confessed after extensive probing that she had been the source of my ‘’leaks’’. We had co-signed a lease so I had to suck it up for a while since it would have been very costly to break up our arrangement. Another permanent life lesson was to inquire more thoroughly whenever associating myself with anyone especially on a contract. 

I called a locksmith in El Paso, Texas and had them come in and install locks on the drawers, my closet and an extra lock on my bedroom. The incidents obviously stopped but had it not been for my detection of the leaks and the good efforts of the El Paso locksmith firm, who knows what else could have been gone!