Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Locked out of the Office



It was the Monday of a long holiday weekend and most people were on vacation with their families ­– but not me. I had an important appointment with a potential client. I got to my office around 9 o´clock, hoping to spruce things up a bit and make some coffee before the client arrived at 10. I punched my code into the electronic keypad and turned the door handle, but nothing happened. After trying a few more times and continuing to receive the red error light, I called the office manager to find out if she had gotten the code changed without my knowledge. She replied that the electronic lock had been working fine on Friday afternoon when she left. I knew I shouldn’t force the lock, and calling someone to get me in through the emergency exit would be a big production. There was only one thing to do: call a commercial locksmith.

I couldn’t believe this was happening now. Sitting down outside the door, I took advantage of the time waiting for the locksmith to review my notes for the meeting. The locksmith arrived within 15 minutes. Although I was a nervous wreck, he maintained his calm and explained that occasionally these type of electronic locks malfunction. He removed the lock and let me into the office to prepare for my meeting, as he rewired the lock and changed the combination. When he had finished, I checked my watch: ten minutes to 10. I quickly paid the locksmith and ushered him out.

About 15 minutes later the potential client arrived, none the wiser to the near disaster that I had experienced earlier that morning. Thanks to the speedy response and expert work of the commercial locksmith, I was able to follow through with my meeting and close a big business deal that day.