Wednesday, May 21, 2014

My Precious Belongings



People often assume that their valuables such as cash and jewelry could be safe and sound if they are simply stored away in a closet drawer. Unfortunately that is a wrong assumption; your drawer has to be absolutely private whether it be secured with a lock or if you get a safe to protect your items. This becomes an even bigger problem whenever you are sharing a room or apartment because it becomes very difficult to control your valuables without becoming suspicious of your immediate partners. I had a problem with my own roommate in college because items started to go missing, and she was the only other person with access to the room (other than the cleaning lady who even gave me things that she found under my bed or scattered around the floor). I confronted her about it and she confessed the theft and returned my belongings. I requested to be transferred to another building immediately.

At that time, janitorial services were not as developed as they are now across campuses in the United States and you actually had to pay a premium in order to have your room cleaned, this was never a problem because I got along extremely well with our cleaning lady. What was maybe counter-intuitive was that when things got lost, I just knew she would not dare to touch my belongings. Precisely because of the reputation she had gained with me as an honest individual.


All in all, I remember an iPod and a ring being unaccounted for, but those are very portable items and are very prone to get stolen so I was not very surprised when I found out they were stolen (because of their portability). The answer to my dilemma came of course when I transferred to another building and really tested the waters with my new roommate (by getting to know her better). Unfortunately, human nature runs on precedents and I wouldn't take a chance with this one, I contacted a locksmith to install locks on my closets and desk drawers. To this day I can’t remember anything go missing once I transferred.