Saturday, April 19, 2014

Digital Locks



I have used locks and keys for as long as I can remember. Ever since I was a little girl, my mom put a cute little Barbie lock on my elementary school back pack. Then I had a little wooden chest in my room with a combination lock that was supposed to be as secure as Fort Knox. Now, in 2014, I have a safe that uses a digital lock system. I basically programmed it upon purchase to a specific combination of numbers that would unlock my safe.


There has been what I would call a proliferation of these types of locks particularly for safes. I think the reason for this trend is because of how durable and secure they are while also being quite affordable. You can find these types of storage units on a wide range of sizes. Mine is a small one (not any bigger than a shoe box) and I put my jewelry, cash and private documents in there. It’s very versatile because I can carry it with me which can be quite convenient.

The one feature I absolutely love on my safe is its lock mechanism. I bought my safe in a locksmith company in El Paso, the owner recommended it a lot and informed me that in case I forgot the lock code, I could always bring it back to have it unlocked and reprogrammed with a new lock code. They always recommend you change your codes periodically perhaps once a year or so. It’s very important that you keep your lock pattern to yourself, never write it down and make it easy for you to remember. I picked the most random code you could imagine and surely that my friends (or more importantly people that are not my friends might surmise). If you adopt those recommendations and decide to buy a safe I highly recommend you get a digital one. Those combination-lock safes just seem too outdated.